Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I can't believe I said that!

If you've glanced at my profile, you know that my husband, Steven, is the pastor of a small church in south Louisiana where I teach the young adult Sunday school class. Don't let the name of our class fool you! The ages of people in our Bible study group range from 18 to 75. It is a quite interesting dynamic.
At the beginning of our class each week, I ask for prayer requests. This past Sunday was no different. After going through a few requests, one of the gentlemen in class inquired about my grandfather who hasn't been well. He fell about two weeks ago and has been in extreme pain since then. The doctor finally decided to do x-rays and will be doing a procedure where cement is injected into the break to stabilize it. I went through all of with with the class only, I said the doctor would be "injecting semen into the break." I was so embarrassed!! How could I have made such a blunder?!? The pastor's wife said "semen" in Sunday school in response to a question posed by a 70-year-old man!!
Then the memories came flooding back...the slips of the tongue. You see, this happens to me often. Once when I was in high school, I was on a first date with a guy. We had gone out after a football game with a group of friends. Sitting in the booth at Shoney's laughing and flirting, we were all having a great time. Then it happened...I responded to a comment by saying "It's all your FART!" I meant to say fault; I really did! I wanted to crawl under the table.
It happens. People say things that they shouldn't. They say things without thinking. Unfortunately, these things people say aren't always funny blunders. Sometimes they are hurtful. Sometimes they cut to the core. Words are very powerful. We must be careful with them.

3 comments:

  1. I was there for that :) too funny. But I totally agree that we need to remember that words we say can hurt! Words resonate for a long time if you are the injured party. Good job Krista!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's funny. I am glad I am not a pastors wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich, I'm sure Jennie is also glad you're not a pastor's wife!

    ReplyDelete